Sunday 1 June 2014

Astrid Progress 1

I only saw How to Train Your Dragon a few weeks ago after being introduced to it by a friend. Choosing to watch it was the BEST decision - I loved it.  Such a cute movie, great animation and like hello... dragons!

As soon as I saw it, I loved Astrid, strong and cute but also, obviously, gets a great guy (boy really!).  I had to cosplay as her.  Cue the usual Pinterest planning.



Then... Disaster struck and I started getting excited about HTTYD2.  I much prefer her outfit in the sequel, particularly the extra fur and updated colours.  So I started having a scribble and working a few things out.


After a searching around the town centre for some suitable pleather (and failing) I thought about upholstery fabric; I managed to find some perfect stuff in Dunelm Mill.  I spent an evening cutting strips and distressing them with sandpaper and black acrylic paint... Lots of fun.

And then today.... Stretch fabric! Slightly scary, but actually after cutting a rough vest shape and then pinning it around my dress form, I now have a pretty good base for Astrid's top.


I can't believe how much fun I am having at the moment with sewing and costuming, especially making something from nothing.  Just wish I had an overlocker... One day.

No comments:

Post a Comment